Friday, February 6, 2009

Dinner at Mandina's




Kaii took a quick nap; then we took the street car quite far from the city center to Mandina's, a neighborhood-y Italian/seafood place that had been recommended to us. It felt like it was in the middle of nowhere, but we were reassured when we went in and there was a big ass line. (Ha, there's the New Yorker in me again!)

I was so full after the turtle soup (it's actually made with veal) and shrimp remoulade (cold shrimp in a creamy mustard sauce -- another Nola specialty), that when my trout almandine came, I could only manage a few bites. Seriously. The fries were amazing though -- they kind of reminded me of my favorite fries of all time, these golden beauties in St. Petersburg over 10 years ago that were almost definitely cooked in lard. Ah... they live on in memory.

Anyway, Kaii insisted on having milky way pie for dessert, but I was DONE.

No comments: