Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 10: The Missions of San Antonio






There are four missions here in San Antonio (not counting the Alamo), and today Kaii and I went to three of them. San Jose is the one we spent the most time at, if only because we decided to take a free tour with the most long-winded volunteer docent EVER. He was like that elementary school teacher you had who was an OK guy but was prone to uttering "witticisms" and going off on long tangents. I almost lost it when he started reciting a poem by heart from the biography of Sam Houston -- something about how the Indians "lived and loved under these same skies, wooing their dusky women." Dusky women!

Suffice it to say, I didn't learn a whole lot so I can't really tell you anything about these missions but look -- pretty pictures! Lots of them!

2 comments:

scwai said...

Have you ever visited the mission in San Diego? I think I went there for a wedding when I was really young, but have been meaning to go back so I can properly appreciate it and learn its history.

jt said...

Omg, I think I went on a field trip there in 5th grade. Maybe. I know, there are lots of cool missions all over CA!