Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 7: NASA Space Center

Yay, Houston! I gotta admit, I kind of like this place. It's the whole California-ness of it, like I was talking about. The weather. The ethnic mix. The size of things and the driving.

This morning Kaii and I stopped by Costco -- seriously his favorite store, I think -- reveling in the normalness of it all. It was nice not to feel like tourists but like we lived here.

Of course, we went back to being tourists a little when we visited the NASA Space Center. I hate to be a nerd (again), but it was awesome!!! We did a flight simulator, watched several movies on the history of NASA and what it's like to be an astronaut, and checked out an exhibit with info about and artifacts from every one of the past NASA missions. (Did you know the next shuttle is taking off on Feb 19 of this year??)

The best part was probably the tram tour we took of NASA's actual facilities -- including the famous Mission Control Room, the Space Vehicle Mock-up Facility and the Saturn V rocket (the largest rocket ever).


Lots of kids at the Space Center. I wish I could have gone on this super-tall chutes and ladders thing-y for the little ones.


A mock-up of the shuttle that the astronauts train on before missions. It also helps the ground crew figure out how to help astronauts with mechanical problems while they're in space, as well as develop better equipment for future missions.


Mission Control! (They have a new room now with more updated equipment.)


Facility where the Saturn V is kept.


The Saturn V.

No comments: