Saturday, July 24, 2010

Subway Signs: Clark St 2/3 Stop

Subway stations strike me as the most interesting venues for public art. What has, by unknown civil engineers, architects and administrators, been considered "universally appealing" is often... puzzling. Take the Clark 2/3 stop, for example. I've always been fascinated by the floor pattern in the corridor between the elevators and the stairs down to the platform, and spent many an hour (seriously) mentally searching for the rhyme or reason to the pattern. I could never figure it out. What is the relationship between the different shapes and colors??



After taking these photos today, I think I see something -- in each vertical row (if you're looking in the direction of the second photo), the red circle slowly moves from bottom to top to encroach upon the comfortable union of the triangle and square. Zounds, have I cracked the code?

1 comment:

K said...

Maybe you should get a shirt with this pattern!