Monday, July 12, 2010

First Tomato Plant!

I've killed pretty much every plant I own. There was the potted tree in college which, even though the leaves stayed green, probably died quietly months before I remembered to water it. Years later when I moved into my current apartment, my old roommate Angelica gave me an African violet -- because "it's impossible to kill." Nope. Apparently not. Especially when you put it on top of the heater.

Anyway, suffice it to say I don't exactly have a green thumb, so I steadfastly ignored Chef K's repeated pleas to buy a tomato plant at our local farmer's market last month. Then Mom came around that one weekend, and when we happened to pass by the market, she was more than happy to shell out the $1 to buy us one. Hard to refuse, that Momster.

Sigh... looking back now, it's hard to believe our baby was ever so small. :) I have some doubts Mr. Tomato will actually bear any fruit this year -- I have shady Northern exposure after all, and tomato plants love sunshine -- but I am definitely having fun watching him grow. And learning to keep something alive, for once.

Here he is, close to one week old:



And here, at two weeks old -- look how much he grew in just one week!!



We repotted him with organic tomato fertilizer after week three:




And now he is too big to sit on the sill, so he's outside 24/7, all the better to catch those rays. More pix to come...

No comments: