Friday, June 11, 2010

Subway Signs: Out-of-Order Patterns

As many people who know me know, I am obsessed with patterns. Patterns! I love them. There is something so satisfying about repetition, about the tension between the simplicity of a single unit or motif on the one hand, and the complexity that occurs when that single unit is repeated. There is a deep, epistemological basis for why patterns are so fascinating, too, I believe -- after all, meaning itself is based on repetition, on one thing standing next to another. No one thing can mean anything without another to which it can be compared.

Anyway, the other night coming home from class, I was very much struck by this out-of-order sign on the Manhattan-bound G train. Totally wacky!! I would love to design some kind of fabric based on these seemingly random grid patterns.



No comments: