Friday, June 11, 2010

Atlantic Art Walk & Lebanese Food Festival 2010

Last weekend, Mom was in town. Luckily, there was a ton happening right in the neighborhood so we didn't have to go far for things to do.

First stop was the annual Brooklyn Heights Lebanese Food Festival. Every year I seem to pass by as they're packing up, and every year I swear that next year I'll try to find out the dates beforehand so I can taste the yummy food and support the local community. Well I finally made it happen, although once again I found out the festival was going on by accident, when I happened to walk by on the way home from the gym on Friday and ordered a combo meal as a kind of preview. Delicious!!

On Saturday, I brought the momster and Chef K back for lunch. (Chef K is a huge fan of Lebanese food, especially after spending a month in Beirut.) Although the live music was kind of loud (DJed by two Lebanese teenagers dressed like the Jersey Shore kids), we enjoyed the chicken shawarma, grape leaves with lamb, green beans in tomato sauce, buttery rice pilaf, tabbouli and fattoush (tomato and cucumber salad garnished with fried pita chips). Nobody even made it to the baklava for dessert. So glad I was finally able to partake in this neighborhood tradition.



Afterward, my mom wanted to check out the Atlantic Art Walk on Atlantic Ave, something she had read about in the paper. Unfortunately, it wasn't the hustling and bustling street fair we were hoping for, but we did get to pop into a few galleries, the highlight being a print studio. There was some really beautiful work out - I wish I remembered the name of this place!




My favorite print was this one on the far wall of the staircase. You can't see it so much here, but there are white outlines of some kind of architectural structure running throughout the red color blocks. Again, wish I remember the name of the artist -- I wrote it down on a scrap of paper but seem to have thrown it away.

Later we stopped into Blue Marble. Mom had a cinnamon ice cream (her fave), and I had a blueberry pomegranate sorbet, which came with this shovel-like spoon (I'll be blogging more about eating utensils sometime soon...). A fun time was had by all!

No comments: